Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 25

Grandma's machine
I came home Sunday with a purpose. I needed to sew around the edges of some muslin fabric for my Fiber Arts class Batik project. My students cut their fabric pieces to fit their frames and I needed to sew the edges so they wouldn't fray when I washed the fabric. My grandmother had given me her sewing machine when she moved into an assisted living residence and I had tried to sew in the past but it was NOT a pleasant experience. The thread kept breaking regardless of the tension and stitch length and I just did not have any fun. Well, I got the machine tuned up last summer and WOW does that machine hum now!!! Turns out if you have the needle in BACKWARDS, things don't work so well. OOPS....  
What a beauty! 
Closer....

Closer....

Closer....

And done!

Thanks to Grandma for the machine and thanks to G who immediately upon my return from the cities asked me if I wanted any help putting the sewing machine back into its table. Since the move, it has been sitting on the floor and before I could begin, I needed to replace it in the sewing table. What a great guy to volunteer, get the tools out, and then lay on his back to replace all the screws.... I just love that man and all the great practice I got sewing in straight lines!

1 comment:

Maya, Mieko and Hana's Mom said...

Good job Jen! You can join the "We hate sewing" club (Heather and me). We love the stuff, just hate how it gets screwed up along the way. Next time I visit, we can make some bags or something.